From:
"Anna L. Abrante" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 19:32:30 EDT
In a message dated 8/9/99 8:38:36 AM Pacific Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

>  Personally I think anyones beliefs should
>  be open to question.

Absolutely they should. Sometimes for their own protection.

 In fact, I think it's an important part of any
>  free society to question any idea.

Critical, in fact...but questioning and mocking are not the same thing.
The reason we try not to mock another is because we wouldn't want
to be mocked ourselves.  It hurts people's feelings and makes them
defensive, and thus less likely to argue their point logically, and see
your point clearly.

  Why should someone's religeous
>  beliefs, ideas and dogmas be regarded as unassailble?

They are not. Again,  questioning, examining, probing,,,,not the same
as insulting...

 Are they so
>  weak that they could not stand up to question?

Many religious people are. Which is how so many get taken in the name
of religion. (ie cults that end up hurting people instead of helping)

Regardless what position you are on,
we are all human beings, and it behooves us to treat each other
with respect....we're all in this together.