From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 07:25:49 -0500
Paleogal wrote:

>Oh good grief....  I can't win.  I made a stew in the crock pot a couple of
>weeks ago with diced tomatoes, garlic, onion, celery and a beef roast.(no
>water)  Everyone loved it but me.  Couldn't put my finger on why.....
>hmmm......    Oliva

If MSG is produced in this way, I wouldn't assume it is non-paleo.
 Slow-cooking is definitely paleo.  I used to do it when I was a Boy
Scout.  You dig a hole, then build a fire nearby and heat some stones as
hot as you can get them.  Although we used sealed pots, you could as
easily tie your food into a bladder or leather bag.  Place the food into
the hole, surrounded by the heated stones, and cover with earth.  Come
back in about three hours and it's done.  If there's MSG in there, then
so be it.  This is a stone age way to cook.  It has the advantage that
the meal can be left unattended and scavengers won't get at it
(especially if you place some rocks on top of the "oven" to prevent
digging).  The success of the method depends on getting the stones good
and hot.

Todd Moody