From:
Phosphor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 08:27:37 +1000
> Did he mean lower when compared to todays
>typical diet (full of transfatty acids) or just low?
lower than what occurs in traditional diets. if you're eating 30% carbs then
both protein and fat drops off.  but how do you get 30% carbs
pre-agriculture, or if you are nomadic herders/hunters, or if you live in
the cold depths of northern europe?

>I would assume that compared to the domesticated animals we >mostly eat
today that paleo wild animals would have less fat
>(you don't often see a fat wild animal).
a common assumption. the other day i posted a piece on elk who can gain up
to 200 pounds of fat during a season. animals gain fat in order to keep them
going during later periods of cold, and/or when food is sparse, when getting
ready to bear young. smart natives worked out when this was happening and
devised their seasons accordingly, to be in the right place at the right
time.
natives also ate all the fat stores in an animal: in the muscle, under the
skin, marrow, cavity stores, fat round the kidney and heart, intestinal and
stomach fat.

>Of course it would be another matter if one was an Inuit. >Do/did they eat
the blubber or use it just for lighting and >things?
they eat/ate the blubber of whale, seal, narwal etc.

andrew