From:
Sky Yardley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 18:18:42 +0000
Someone mentioned something about Neanderthin was basically no carbs, just
meat and fat.  I didn't get that from the book.  What I got was to eat what
our hunter-gatherer ancestors ate... and that definitely includes fruit and
vegetables, in my view.  Granted the bulk of calories would come from flesh
and fat, but in my research and knowledge of hunter-gatherer peoples, they
spent plenty of time eating fruits and veggies, esp. fruits, the more
obvious food sources.  Roots and greens were probably a bit more hard to
discover than those beautiful things hanging off trees, shrubs and vines.

As some one who rarely steps foot in a grocery store, but eats what comes
from my land (a combination of hunter-gatherer and early agriculture), I
can say that most of our veggie/fruit consumption is in season and raw.
Peas and corn (I realize both Neander no-nos) are generally eaten raw right
from the plant.  It's hard to eat very many peas or corn this way.  I think
our ancestors would have fore-gone these foods to a great extent because it
would take so much work to get very little caloric return.  Growing enough
grains, corn, potatoes, dried beans etc to feed a family over winter takes
up a great deal of space.  The same amount of beans harvested young would
provide more food than those same plants left to turn into mature dried
beans.  A family with a small amount of land would do better raising other
foods and foraging for the rest.

To make a long pondering short, I think people should be eating fruits and
veggies along with their flesh, fat and nuts.  Even you folks in the cities
can go foraging for a fair amount of food (and I don't mean in the grocery
store either).  Wild greens and herbs have so many concentrated nutrients
(and are tasty) and are available to those who don't know how to kill an
animal or fish.

Jane

PS  I wonder if the people who are worried about losing weight need to let
go of that and use this theory to feel better and let their bodies become
what size they're meant to be.