From:
Cheryl Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 23:20:30 -0800
> By "specific towards oligomers of N-acetylglucosamine",  what do you mean ?
> ("oligomers"  is not in my dictionary) "STA'"? Would you explain, please?.

STA = solanum tuberosum agglutinin, or 'potato lectin'.  Solanum tuberosum
is the Latin or scientific name for potato. Sorry, when I pasted the info
onto the e-mail I deleted a lot of it as it looked way too long.

In organic chemistry an oligomer is a molecule consisting of several repeat
units of a monomer, but not large enough to be considered a polymer.  It's a
molecule made of multiple units, like a chain.  Many oligomeric enzymes have
different catalytic properties, and have to do with cellular enzyme
regulation, is my understanding.

> What are GlcNAc and GlcNAc-oligomers?

Its a sugar, pronounced 'glick-nack.' N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase, an
enzyme that effects the transfer of N-acetylglucosamine.

> I take N-acetyl Glucosamine (NAG) at Dr. D'Adamo suggestion for accidental
> wheat ingestion due to a rather violent reaction from wheat, yet you made
> no mention of NAG in connection with wheat lectins.

Don't know about NAG, used for inflammation isn't it? Is that what's in his
new product 'Deflect' to provide attachment for the lectins instead of
attaching to you? Haven't seen this in the published studies yet on WGA
(wheat germ agglutinin) still a lot to read, but is what  GlcNAc above
'transfers' (or causes the chemical reaction of converting it).

> Can you be more specific about the inconsistent results. D'Adamo is only
> one of many who have explored the lectin theory with regard to blood type.
> Are you saying they are all "inconsistent"?

> Did you do this testing by yourself, or are you referring to some one
> else's work?

Dadamo mentioned ways of testing foods to your own blood at home for
agglutination.  I followed the process he outlined and started up.  The
lectins he has tested himself were done on washed reagent red cells with
purchased lectins removed and purified from foods.  I (and now have been
joined by about 10 others) are testing on whole blood with the foods
themselves.   We are getting some reactions due to antibodies which
individuals have in the plasma (the clear part of blood including
fibrinogen)  as well we believe.  Many that he listed as detrimental due to
lectins do not agglutinate.  Most of my own tests are showing agglutination
with foods I am allergic to.  We are tending to believe this information we
are getting is more suited to us individually than D'adamo's recommendations
are.

Are now looking into effects with other blood type antigens also.   ABO
blood type is only one of at least 30 blood type systems, all of which are
found on the red cell surfaces.  For an A2 blood type for instance, several
of these antigens are much more numerous on the blood cell than the A
antigen itself.  In other words, each of us is much more complex than just
A,B or O.

For a lot of his results he has accepted the work of others.  We are trying
to locate more info on this particular type of testing.  We've found that if
you de-seed and remove the liquid from a tomato, you will get no
agglutination with your blood.  Testing that liquid and/or seeds alone will
cause the agglutination.  Tomato lectin is one that agglutinates all blood
types, yet the published data shows that this lectin is located mostly in
these areas of the fruit.

Many of the results that are ABO type specific are from plants that are not
edible.   Some food-plant lectins are specific to one or another, but  the
vast majority that I've found information on says that they agglutinate red
cells of  all or no  ABO types.  Why some do not agglutinate? Is it other
factors we each carry that prevent it? We don't know yet.  If we separated
out just the red cells, we should get the same results. But that seems to be
looking at the problem through a very narrow window, just one tiny aspect of
the whole picture.