From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:59:45 -0700
> However, all of this shows a remarkable difference between the genuine
> paleo people of the (g)olden days and us: we live rather much predicted
or
> predictable lives, at least in terms of food. We can plan our meals
weeks,
> even months ahead. A paleo would in most cases eat from hand to mouth, if

> it makes any sense to say it this way.

Hello Jose Carlos. Been awhile since I chatted with you.

I have been reading quite a bit of research by John K. Williams, an
Archeologist who is a field researcher (he actually participates in digs).
Although he agrees - for the most part - with general paleo dietary advice;
he does take issue with some of the concepts associated with that dietary
advice. For instance (a post by him from another list):

" The whole concept of hunter-gatherers being "intermittent and
unpatterned" is certainly not substantiated in the archaeological record.
Our success as a species (H. sapiens) was due partly because we developed
logistical subsistence strategies, not opportunistic. In other words, we
obsessively planned everything, from the movement of the band to coincide
with migrational animals, to the time of day that was allocated to hunting
and/or gathering. "

" It wasn't as if people just shambled around until they tripped over an
antelope. The Paleolithic folks who lived an unpatterned life were
Darwinian zeros. "

John suggests that unless an individual lived in a climate where he/she
could literally wake up in the morning and start eating food that was
simply "lying around", there most certainly would have been a considerable
amount of predictability in life. It would have been a survival tool. He
likes to say that it's not just our big brains, but our *obsessiveness*
that secures our survival.

Food for thought.