From:
Frances Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 2004 22:26:51 +0000
Soounds to me as though he has extreme insulin resistance.

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/news/s/133/133355_sparetyre_flab_link_to_diabetes.html

Email to a Friend | Your comments
Tuesday, 12th October 2004
Spare-tyre flab link to diabetes

Carrying a lot of fat around the stomach could quadruple the risk of
developing diabetes and heart disease, experts warned today.

Scientists believe that waist measurement rather than overall weight is a more
accurate at predicting future health problems such as Type 2 diabetes, which
is linked to rising levels of obesity.

Experts today warned that fat around the stomach - a beer gut or apple shape -
could be more deadly than weight carried on the thighs - the so-called pear
shape.

Anthony Barnett, professor of medicine at the University of Birmingham, said
people should throw away their bathroom scales and reach for the tape measure
to understand the risks they face.

Researchers are realising that fat cells around the stomach are different to
fat cells elsewhere in the body and the unwanted chemicals they pump out can
damage the insulin system, raising the risk of diabetes and heart disease.

Predict

Prof Barnett, speaking at the National Obesity Forum (NOF) conference in
London, said: "Waist measurements can predict the risks of Type 2 diabetes and
heart disease more accurately than weight.

"Men with waists of more than 40 inches and women with waist measurements of
more than 35 inches are at an incredibly high risk of Type 2 diabetes and
heart disease.

"Thicker waistlines may double to quadruple these risks, compared to those
with slimmer waistlines.

"Even a lower waist of 37 inches in men and 32 inches in women may
significantly raise the risk of either of these diseases, if not both."

Prof Barnett and his colleagues have been at the forefront of research into
the understanding that fat cells around the waistline are not passive lumps of
lard but are highly active, pumping out proteins and hormones.

While in small doses these are necessary, in excess then can cause damage to
insulin use, also raising blood pressure and increasing cholesterol in the
bloodstream.

Increase

Type 2 diabetes - sometimes called adult-onset diabetes - has increased
significantly in recent years, alongside rising levels of obesity.

Last week Diabetes UK warned that the number of people with diabetes in the UK
has jumped to 1.8m, blaming the ageing population and expanding waistlines.

Prof Barnett said: "We're reaching the point where if obesity increases at the
present rate, within the next 10 years some 10% of the population will suffer
from diabetes and its related complications."

Type 2 diabetes is caused by insulin resistance, which can be triggered by
excess weight around the abdomen.

Insulin produced in the pancreas stops working properly in overweight and
obese people and the fatter someone becomes, the more resistant to insulin
they are.

"The more resistant you are to insulin, the more insulin the body has to
produce from the pancreas gland in order to have the same effect," Prof
Barnett said.

"Eventually the pancreas becomes exhausted and either stops producing as much
insulin, or in severe cases, may stop producing insulin altogether."

Prof Barnett said in people over 40, even small amounts of weight gain -
around a stone - may double their risks of developing Type 2 diabetes.

"Any weight gain in the 40-65 age group is associated with insulin not working
properly in body tissue and muscle," he said.

Experts recommend losing weight if you are overweight, or preventing
weight-gain in those of normal weight to avoid diabetes.

Other speakers at this year's NOF conference include Chief Medical Officer Sir
Liam Donaldson and Prof Philip James of the International Obesity Task Force.

Topics up for discussion include childhood obesity, the psychological effects
of obesity, and cancer.