From:
Dick Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 19:51:40 -0500
>> I believe you are right.  Bacon is a cured meat.  But a lot of
>> people wouldn't know what you were talking about if you said to go
>> to the store and by side meat.  It could also be described as
>> unsalted salt pork, too but saying uncured bacon gets the message
>> across better.

> Ah, the light dawns!  We're talking about plain old sow-belly, yes?
>
> Jackie

No.  Bacon is abdominal wall tissue: meat and fat.  sowbelly is from
sows only: the udders.  'uncured' bacon could be called 'side-pork'.
'salt pork' is bacon saturated with salt.  Bacon is usually heavily
salted but not likely saturated, then smoked.  Some is soaked in some
flavoring eg: sugar or honey; mixed with the brine.