Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 11:55:25 -0400
I thought this might be of interest to Paleo-people.  I have seen articles on the benefits
of weight lifting wrt body comp changes in conjunction with dieting.  I don't have refs at
my finger-tips right now, though.

Int J Sport Nutr 1998 Sep;8(3):213-22
Influence of diet and/or exercise on body composition and
cardiorespiratory fitness in obese women.
Utter AC, Nieman DC, Shannonhouse EM, Butterworth DE, Nieman CN
Department of Health, Leisure, and Exercise Science, Appalachian State
University, Boone, NC 28608, USA.

The purpose of this study was to measure the influence of diet,
exercise, or both on body composition and
cardiorespiratory fitness in obese women. Ninety-one obese subjects
were randomized into one of four groups:
diet (D) (4.19-5.44 MJ or 1,200-1,300 kcal/day), exercise (E) (five
45-min sessions at 78.5+/-0.5% maximum
heart rate), exercise and diet (ED), and controls (C). Maximal aerobic
power and body composition were
measured in all subjects before and after a 12-week diet intervention
period. Subjects in D and ED lost
7.8+/-0.7 and 8.1+/-0.6 kg body mass, with no significant change for E
relative to C. Losses of percent body fat
and fat mass were significantly greater in D and ED but not in E
relative to C. The change in VO2max was
greater in ED and E but not D when compared to C. Results indicate
that moderate aerobic exercise training
during a 12-week period has no discernible effects on body composition
but does improve cardiorespiratory
fitness in dieting obese women.

Happy & healthy Thanksgiving greetings to everyone!

Rachel :-)

P.S.  Don't end up like the turkey (stuffed with starch! Hehehe!)