Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 05:08:03 -0400
---
Don and Rachel Matesz <[log in to unmask]>
Next Generation Nutrition

Dear Ben:
>A relative of mine is an international senior triathlete 68 years old, and
very keen to try the paleodiet. He has trouble getting up to 7,000kcal per
day of food intake. Unfortunately, he is severely allergic to metabisulphite
(therefore cannot take commercial dried fruit- we won't ask him to make it
himself for reasons I won't go into). Any suggestions would be welcome. I've
suggested that he will get a lot of the benefits of paleo (but not all) by
eating 8-10 pieces of fruit per day. I've posted his email to me below.

Natural foods stores sells sulfite free dried fruit; one need not make it
at home!

However, my training went backwards and on the bike I could not
keep up with people who I had easily bettered in the past.  The lack of
glycogen being the obvious course of my heart rate being low.  Also, my
lets were heavy in running and at times deteriorated.  Every run being
an effort.

From a previous correspondence with of Dr. Barry Sears' right hand helpers,
I learned about a man who is a world class athlete (runner or triathalete,
can't recall which....or which country) from Europe who had some phenomenal
times.  He was eating 50% of his diet as olive oil.  He had no performance
problems, and was besting his personal records and many others'!!!  Only
problem was that his testosterone levels were so high (NO DRUGS!  JUST GOOD
EICOSANOIDS!) that when he took drug tests, the officials thought he was
taking drugs and disqualified his winning times, took away some medals!!!
Man was he UPSET! :-((((   Anyway, at Sears laboratories they have some info
about some high performance athletes using the Zone protocal effectively
(obviously the diet isn't 40-30-30 anymore, not when you're doing 50% fat or
more!) and WITHOUT doing 400-600 or more grams of carbohydrates.   E-mail me
(not everyone, please) if you want more details.  I may be able to get them.

It's about adaptation, increasingly nudging your body to rely more and more
and fat and less and less on carbs.  It can be done.  I've read studies
about runners who better on a higher fat diet.  The problem is that most
studies are short term: one week on SAD/High Carb Diet then one week on
low-carb; not enough time for your enzyme pathways to gear up for and shift
over to efficiently burning fat for fuel.  For some it can take 4 weeks, for
some even 3 months to completely retool and run smoothly on fat as the
primary fuel.  This is one some feel like crapola when they go from high to
low-carb overnight and why some feel fantastic when they get into fat
burning after easing, more slowly into it with increasingly lower carb and
higher fat intakes.

Hope this helps.

Rachel