From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 07:29:26 -0400
On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Paul Sand wrote:

> I still think that's not possible to get huge without any juices flowing
> but again it brings my previouse question:
>
> How big is still Paleo. What body mass the average 6f Paleoman was carrying?

There is no fixed answer to this.  The amount of muscle you can
carry is genetically determined, and it may not be huge.
Probably isn't, in fact.  The only way around that genetic
ceiling is steroids, not diet.

If you have been training consistently for a few years and
getting adequate protein, you are probably already at that
ceiling.  Trying to add more mass (without steroids) is futile.
By overeating you might be able to add a bit more, but you'll
have to get fatter to do it.

> From the efficiency point of view the less body mass you have the lower
> energy intake you need so your chances to survive are higher.

Exactly.  And this is probably why the genetic ceiling exists in
the first place.  A massive body is a metabolically expensive
body.  While some of that mass can be regarded as a way to store
energy against future shortages, there are trade-offs involved.
Hugeness is not in itself adaptive.  It is imperfectly correlated
with strength, and strength itself is just one adaptation that
would have been of value to paleo people.

Todd Moody