From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2010 23:10:07 +0000
What causes cortisol?

Stress, yes, or more correctly the perception of a threat or need for immediate strenuous effort. Cortisol is the signal to release fuel for extreme short-duration explosive action: glucose.

Falling blood glucose also causes cortisol to be released, again to tell the liver to put out more glucose.

As for excess protein...it makes sense but I don't know, really. When we eat more protein than can be used for tissue building, something has to be done with it. We can't do much to store it as is. So gluconeogenesis would be needed to turn it into glucose, which can be stored as glycogen or fat.

But that makes me wonder what happens when we eat a high-protein, high-carb meal. I wouldn't expect simultaneous flood of insulin and cortisol. Maybe the carbs get handled first, then protein?

Todd Moody