From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 23:05:00 -0700
On Sun, 21 May 2000 18:07:28 -0700, "Elizabeth L. Bess" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>As the basic premise of Neanderthin is the necessity of eating meat, defending the consumption of meat on this list is ridiculous.

(1)The basic premise of Neanderthin is only eating what you can provide for
yourself naked, with a sharp stick.

(2)This is not the "Neanderthin" list, it is the "Paleolithic Eating Support
List".   Since there does not currently exist a time machine to view Paleolithic
Man eating, then discussion about what was eaten is entirely relevant.

>I recently sent an old client to this list for more info about the daily workings of the paleo diet.
> I hope she wasn't confused by the recent philosophical discussions about eating meat.

The best place for more info about the daily workings of the paleo diet is books
about the paleo diet, such as "Neanderthin" and "Protein Power Life Plan".

>I feel fortunate to have finally found people who are as genuinely radical as myself.

Please be assured that "radicalness" has nothing to with the Paleolithic Diet.
If everyone suddenly decided that the Paleolithic Diet was the correct way to
eat, then I'm sure that most of us on this list would continue to use it.

However, the "radicals" would then find it too mainstream, and look for some
other diet plan!

The web site www.beyondveg,com specializes in exhaustive rebuttals to all sorts
of "radical" diet plans that all happen to be wrong!

> But, radicalism and rudeness are not synonymous. Just as I would never criticize a hostess's meal at her dinner table,
> I wouldn't dream of challenging an author's theories on his own list.........call me an old-fashioned Southern lady...............

But the author of Neanderthin goes out of his way to debate those who oppose his
theories.   He even goes to --- health food stores (!)  --- to demand that they
include his book on their shelves.

Only someone who is wrong is afraid of being challenged - those who are correct
have no fear of debate.

In general, one of the best aspects of this list is its frequent philosophical
discussions - which are always cordial !   Those who disagree here, always
manage to do so in a gracious manner.   Such discussion can only lead to greater
understanding for all.

--
Cheers,

Ken