From:
Bernard Lischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 23:58:41 -0000
>My question is, perhaps the fats are less saturated if the animal is
pasture
>fed only? and that would be why HGers could use the fat for pemmican?
>
>This fat as it now is constituted is so dense, so chalky, it is unuseable.
>If anyone finds a way to make it palatable, let me know.
>
>Do grains change the fat of the animal?

     Yes, grains change both the quantity and quality of fat in an animal.
Wild or range-fed bison have much less fat than grain "finished" animals,
and the fat they do have is much less saturated and contains comparatively
high levels of EPA (an omega 3 fatty acid).  Domestic beef has virtually no
EPA.  These differences are directly related to what the animals eat.  The
animal's natural food source is the entire grass plant - leaves, stem, seeds
and all - not just the grain kernels as used for finishing.  The composition
of micro and macro-nutrients in grain by itself is much different from that
of the entire plant.  I think (and hope!!) that this is one of the issues
that Ray Audette addresses in his next edition of "Neanderthin."

BL