Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 18:16:12 -0400
Lor posted this:

>>The only negative experience I've had with paleo is gallbladder
inflammation.  It got so bad that my naturopathic physician said no red
meat, no excess animal fat (peel skin off turkey and chicken, etc.).  I
can't handle nuts, pork, coconut milk, fatty meat.  My gallbladder just
swells up and hurts.

Reply:
There are several people I know of who get gallbladder pain and distention
when they eat too much fat/oil or rich protein foods, such as lamb,
(regardless of the source---fish oil, flax, olive or coconut oil, meat fat
from grain fed or grassfed animals, nuts....).  One solution that has worked
for some is to eat generous amounts of fresh fruits and vegetables---that is
to eat fresh veggies and fruits at each meal; to remove the skin of the
poultry; eat mostly breast meat of poultry (unless pasture raised); buy lean
cuts of meat and trim fat from meats; avoid bacon, sausage, cooking in
excessive amounts of oils; spread food intake over 4 meals... so that you
are not taking in more fat/oil or protein than you can digest in one
sitting.

A supplement that can help include Artichoke extract (in capsules), which
helps stimulate bile flow, which helps with fat digestion.  For some, the
inclusion of 2 or 3 hydrochloric acid capsules per meal (that includes
protein) can help.  The amount of bile your body releases at a meal is
largely invfluenced by the amount of acid in your stomach; some people
produce small amounts of stomach acid and have difficulty digesting protein
or protein and fats.  Cooking with herbs and spices may also help; there are
many culinary herbs and spices that help stimulate digestion, including bile
flow and other digestive juices.

Eating more produce and lean proteins should allow you to eat a paleo diet
and reap the benefits.

Rachel