From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 13:53:02 -0500
Todd Moody wrote:

>Some of us, myself included, find that
>there is something in tomatoes that triggers or aggravates
>psoriasis.  Some find that they cause migraine headaches.  I
>don't think anyone knows why.

On page 131 of the November 2, 1998 issue of Business Week there is an
article titled "You say tomato, I say anesthesia complication."

It goes on to say that the nightshade vegetables "produce compounds called
SGAs, or solanaceous glycoalkaloids. These ward off bugs and are generally
harmless to humans. But now, a University of Chicago study suggest even
small amounts of these chemicals--ingested several days before an
operation--can delay the speed at which patients break down common
anesthetics. That can impede patients' ability to quickly shake off drugs
after surgery, thus delaying recovery."

"...they inhibit two separate enzymes responsible for breaking down common
anesthetics."

Now, this has nothing to do with this family's reputation for arthritis and
psoriasis, but there is a foreign compound floating around the human system
of people that eat these foods.

Don.