From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:46:55 -0500
>  I read that even small cheats of gluten can have devastating effects.

I agree with Mary. For those who have gluten intolerances, a trace of gluten
can cause a reaction that lasts for weeks. Recently I gave Zoe some Swedish
Bitters to help with her fat digestion problem. The bitters are preserved in
alcohol (probably grain alcohol, which can contain gluten). Assured by the
nutritionist (with ad ADD, GF/CF son of ther own) that the benefits would
outweigh any "potential reaction that a trace amount of gluten could cause",
she took the bitters for a few days. She's back to the screaming again, and
I think she even plucked a hair again today. Just when her bald spot was
filling in.
But Ben, now grain free, doesn't react to some dairy. We had some armenian
string cheese a few weeks ago (which we did NOT share with Zoe, we decided
to be guinea pigs first) and Ben had no problems. Is gluten worse than
casein for autism spectrum disorders?
Stacie