From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Sep 1998 17:25:14 -0400
On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 12:17:11 -0400, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> I think I am rhight to assume that each kind of calorie (also fat)
>> has to be converted to a form of carbohydrate, before the cell
>> actually burns it, and then B1 is also needed for burning fats.
>
>I think this is not true in ketosis, in which most cells burn the
>ketones directly or, after a period of adaptation, free fatty
>acids.  Some cells, such as the cells in fast-twitch muscle fiber
>and certain brain cells, have to have glucose, so these would
>need adequate B1 to use it.  In short, the B1 requirement may
>depend upon whether or not one is in ketosis.
Then, in ketosis do you think there is no B1 needed for the
burning of the free fatty acids? Or less?
Anyway,
if you cut down carbohydrates in favour of fats
fewer B1 is needed for  complex carbohydrate breakdown,
and more will be free for burnning purposes.

>I don't recall the RDA for B1.  Do you know it?

My program sais 1.1mg per day for a 30 y old woman,
my book sais 1.3 to 2.2 mg per day for an adult.
At 1890 the average peoples' supply was 4 mg per day.

regards

Amadeus