From:
Hans Kylberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 21:34:00 +0100
At 10:53 1997-11-26 -0600, Kent Multer wrote:
8<
>* Raw red meat.  Eye round roast is widely recommended.
>
>QUESTION:  any other types of meat that you (anyone out there) especially
>like?

I use rumpsteak peice, its one of the cheaper peices (at least here in Sweden).
8<
>PREPARING ("rendering") THE SUET
>QUESTIONS:
> 1. What about removing moisture?  Does it settle to the bottom of the pan,
>so that it's easy to separate?  Or does it just boil or evaporate away?
8<
The water boils away slowly. Its ready when there are no more bubbles.
To avoid burning in the start, put a little water in the pan together
with the raw suet.
Filtering with cloth does not seem necessary to me - a strainer or sieve
is enough. The small particles passing will go to the bottom anyway.

After trying pemmican for a while my idea is now to save some work and
eat the jerky as it is, and drink some olive oil.
It will mix in the stomach ;-}

- Hans