From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 15:06:43 -0500
Can I use your collective brains?  Sometimes it is helpful to me to summarize, so here goes:

GRAINS are bad because:
1) They offer no nutritional value except for simple sugars (which aren't healthy in excess because they lead to insulin resistance and the Syndrome X diseases)
2) What may be worse, they contain antinutrients and proteins that cause autoimmune disease (a fact not fully grasped by many paleo devotees)

The WORST dietary OFFENDERS
Wheat in any form
Trans fats
MSG
Aspartame

Slightly LESS BAD
Oats, rice, corn
Dairy
Peanuts, soy, or any beans
Potatoes

OK in moderation
Carbohydrates (incl. honey, fruit juice)
Salt
Alcohol (wine not beer)
Caffeine

GOOD
Saturated fat, cholesterol (I love starting off with that)
Omega 6's and Omega 3's in balance, mono- and polyunsaturated fats
Protein
Tree Nuts
Low glycemic fruits
Vegetables

ESPECIALLY GOOD
Organic foods
Grassfed/Free Range/Natural Diet meats
Wild fruits and vegetables

Your comments/suggestions/disagreements/additions to this somewhat random list appreciated!