From:
Quentin Grady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 06:26:48 +1300
On 1 Jan 2002 at 7:39, Marilyn Harris wrote:

> >Apparently Flax oil is usually rancid even when it is in the store.
> >For this reason, I don't buy it / use it.>

> If you buy it refrigerated (hence never opened) and in a dark bottle,
> then it should be fine, although, you don't really know whether it had
> always been stored like that (did it sit around in room temperature
> for several days before being put into the fridge?).
>
> Marilyn

Of equal importance are the conditions at time of extraction.  There
are those who figure they are doing themselves a service by grinding
their own in a coffee grinder.   On the other hand I prefer to buy
mine from a meticulous supplier who uses controlled temperatures and
an inert atmosphere.

FWIIW I eat about a kilo of flax fibre a week and don't often use the
flax seed oil.   I am a T2 diabetic and was looking for a high
protein, high soluble fibre, high antioxidant food.    I buy it in
two kilo lots which arrive by overnight courier. One goes in the
fridge, the other in the deep freeze.

I eat raspberries, blackberries, blueberries with flaxfibre every
morning of the year.

My HbA1c is 5.0   My blood pressure is 120/70 and my blood lipids are
normal.  I eat essentially paleo with pickable vegetables, fish,
shellfish, venison, lamb.  Occasionally I make my own bread.

Quentin Grady