From:
Wally Ballou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 14:10:43 -0500
On Tue, 1 Jan 2002 19:21:55 +1100 Dean Pistilli
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

> tame. I can also only find canned fish in salt water or oil here..
> maybe in US they can it with other things such as nitrites etc.
> (as with everything there).

No nitrites in US canned tuna that I've ever seen, but most or the major
brands add hydrolized protein, usually derived from soy or milk.  I only
buy water packed tuna, usually with no salt added.  The only ingredients
are tuna and water.

> Yes.. this one I have come across. Actually one source said to not
> heat or fry ANY oil except maybe olive oil. Butter etc. are all no-no's

> when cooked apparently and fats can turn rather toxic when heated. I
> don't know the validity of this, but i eat fats and oils raw.

As I understand it, OVER heating will create "toxic" compounds in any
oil, even olive, but some can tolerate more heat than others before
breaking down.  The trick is to use an oil that can best take heating,
try not to overheat during cooking, and NEVER to re-use such oils.

> Apparently Flax oil is usually rancid even when it is in the store.
> For this reason, I don't buy it / use it. I immagine heating it
wouldn't
> do any good for it.

It may depend on what's available to you, but this is not always true.
There are manufacturers (Barlean's is often mentioned) who go to great
lengths to get their oils into the stores VERY fresh, and the best stores
keep these oils refrigerated at all times.  You can also mail order
directly from Barleans, and pobably others.  The advice I've gotten is to
only buy flax oil in bottles, as capsules could be rancid and you'd never
know it.  Even then, only buy those bottles from a store that keeps it
refrigerated, and then keep it refrigerated at home.  If you need to
store it at home for an extended time, you can even keep it in the
freezer.

Fresh flax oil has a very clean, light, and "nutty" taste, and it's easy
to tell when it starts to go "off."
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.