From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2008 10:09:21 EDT

In a message dated 8/17/2008 7:38:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

if humans are not yet adapted to grains, why does this not show up in at
least some sensitivity when an allergy panel is done?

I would question the validity of most if not all allergy tests.  Richard
Mackarness MD wrote much on this subject.  So many people suffer needlessly only
to be told by allergists that they are not allergic or not sensitive to things
when in fact they are.  Symptoms are more reliable than test results.  I know
my joints ache when I eat grains but do not test "allergic" to wheat.  Also,
many tests show negative results if the person being tested has avoided the
offending foods for a while.  That's because some allergies and sensitivities are
cyclical and/or require a certain amount or duration of exposure before
symptoms occur.  I think the best although most time-consuming method of
determining sensitivities is to symply omit suspect foods and then re-introduce and
watch for symptoms.  Certainly not as convenient as a test but certainly more
accurate.  Dr. Ron Hoffman in NYC has mentioned that his autoimmune patients fare
better with a paleo type diet and he has seen thyroid antibodies reduce when
dairy and grains are omitted from autoimmune thyroid patients' diets.  This is
not necessarily true for everyone -- but worth a trial diet change in my view.

Read reviews on AOL Autos.