From:
thetasig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:49:03 -0700
Anna Kihrani wrote:

> What's the deal with fertile eggs?  Is it just that they're more
> paleo, or are they nutritionally superior (or is that the same
> thing)?  Does is mean that the chickens have eaten bugs?

I finally found the detail about this.  Raw egg whites contain avidin,
which prevents biotin from being processed.  Considered part of the B
complex group of vitamins, biotin is necessary for the metabolism of
carbohydrates, fats, and amino acids (the building blocks of protein).
But in fertile eggs embryonic tissue (in the yolk) contains biotin that
can be utilized without being blocked.  So that is why the fertile eggs
are recommended over the infertile ones - to get the usable biotin.

-=mark=-