From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 07:34:40 -0500
On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Ada Lueke wrote:

> Todd,
>
> Are these articles online? I found J Biol Chem but it only went back to
> 1991. Can you give us a little more information or do I need to go the
> my friendly, neighborhood university library?

No, they are way too old.  I had to go to a university library to
get them.

In a post on the Paleodiet Symposium, Loren Cordain cited those
articles in which studies of the 1928 Bellevue experiment were
published.  There were more besides these two.  However, these
two articles documented metabolic changes that could be of
concern to some people.  One is the rise in blood cholesterol,
especially Karsten Andersen's, during the all-meat year.  Ray
Audette believes that this was the result of drinking unfiltered
coffee.  This may be correct, but I'd want to see some
documentation before accepting this explanation, in view of the
fact that Andersen's cholesterol went back to normal quickly when
he ceased eating just meat.  The other item is that Stefansson's
blood work showed a "negative calcium balance" during the entire
year.  That is, his body was losing calcium faster than it was
acquiring it.  Over a longer period of time, this would threaten
osteoporosis.

Todd Moody