From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 09:03:04 -0400
On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Snowlight wrote:

> This is where SAD comes in.  How many obese individuals know what a
> healthier diet is?  The typical American is given the food pyramid as a
> guide by nutritionists and doctors.

Actually, I have to wonder how typical a food pyramid-based diet
is.  I tend to think of the Standard American Diet as one that is
makes a lot of use of fat-impregnated starches, such as French
fries, "loaded" baked potatoes, chips, pastries and other junk
foods, along with "meats" such as battered chicken, etc.
Synthetic "cheese" is liberally used, as well as other trans-fat
sources.  Even a pyramid-based diet that used more whole foods
would be a vast improvement on this.

Todd Moody