From:
Kathryn Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2008 14:35:52 -0600
A friend of mine wrote the following regarding candida and I am posting it with permission:  (most of what she said sounds quite paleo)

Yeast
It grows fast. (Think of how rapidly bread dough doubles in a bowl.   Leave it alone for an hour, and it will be over the sides of the bowl by the time you return.)
It creates a thick, gluey, sugar-rich  mucus layer in your intestine.  That's the medium on which it grows, and it's very hard to get rid of.  It's not as though you can go in there with a scouring pad and scrub it off, y'know?    Digestive enzymes help a lot, but you also have to sort of scour that stuff out with fiber, and it's hard to find a fiber that one can take consistently, one which has no sugar, no gluten, etc.  Celery helped me, as did pineapples, which I ate once fruit was permitted again.  Pineapples are rich in bromelain, a digestive enzyme.
It can hide from medicines by going into its spore phase, where it can live for decades.  Think of a packet of yeast used in breadmaking.  No air, no light, no moisture in those little packets, and yet the minute you add sugar and water, the spores come back to life justlikethat, and once they're alive, they double rapidly every couple of hours.
It has the characteristics of both a mold and a fungus.  Fungi make little buds that push every whichway, taking up room and interfering with healthier gut processes, but molds are even worse.  They create fine, feathery little 'fingers' that can actually eat microscopic holes through your intestines (which is where some of the foggy headedness of candida comes from:  you may have toxins where toxins don't belong.)  (Once the candida is gone, those holes do close back up again, but I don't know how rapidly.)  Those virtually invisible, hairlike 'fingers' weave and tangle themselves together to form a seriously thick mat if they're left unchecked.  Think of the stuff you find in the fridge after a long vacation: seriously heavy mold has weight and it doesn't dissolve easily.  Probiotics help to keep this overgrowth in check.

To get rid of it, one needs a five-pronged attack:

1.  First, you starve it to death by not giving it anything  that makes it grow.  That means you avoid all of the following:
All and any sugars.
  a.. This includes a lot more than table sugar.  It includes anything whose name ends in "-ose":  sucrose, fructose, glucose, mannitose, levulose, dextrose, and all the others you'lll see on labels.  Avoiding sugars means not buying anything that comes in a can, a jar, or a container, even if it comes from the health food store (unless you have already spoken with the chef).  It also includes such 'healthy' foods as honey and agave nectar and such unhealthy ones as corn syrup (and any other syrup)..
  b.. At least for the first few weeks, you would help yourself by avoiding all fruits, too.  Fructose is such a simple sugar that candida consumes it rapidly.  When it eats, it doubles.  Yeasts grow very fast.  Think of the way bread dough rises.  An hour in a warm room and you've got twice as much as dough as you started with . . .
  c.. It also includes anything that rapidly breaks down into a sugar.  That means all simple carbohydrates -- I think of these foods as "white foods":  bread, pasta, white potatoes, white rice
a.. All and any "glues."  If you can stick two slips of paper together with it and it doesn't have a color of its own, avoid it.
  a..  That means avoid gluten, which is the stuff that makes pizza dough elastic and stretchy.  That means avoid nearly all grains, too -- no barley, oats, rye, wheat, etc., although quinoa and brown rice seem to be OK in small quantities .
  b.. It also means avoid casein, which is the the stuff in milk that enables it to be used as a paint base, the stuff that makes butter foam up in the pan.  If you like butter, you can use ghee butter, which is clarified butter with the milk proteins filtered out, but you'd need to avoid milk, cream, all cheeses, ice cream, of course, and anything else made with milk.    I don't use any soy products, so I don't know if soy milk is okay or not, nor do I know about nut milks like almond milk.
a.. Anything whose creation depends upon or results in mold.
  a.. No cheeses.
  b.. No alcohol.
  c.. No dried fruits
  d.. No smoked meats
  e.. NO VINEGAR.  The only vinegar I can handle is umeboshi plum vinegar, because it's really an aged brine.  I was told that white vinegar might/might not be okay, depending on how it was made.  I don't like it anyway so I don't miss it.  No balsamic vinegar (which has lead in it anyway), no raspberry vinegar, etc.
  f.. No dried herbs, either, although I was told that nuking them in the microwave would probably kill any mold on them.  Fresh herbs are fine, and they taste better anyway.
        So what CAN you eat?  Only what is freshly prepared:
You can eat vegetables (but avoid the sweet, high-carb ones like peas, squashes with orange meat, and go easy on sweet potatoes and/or yams.)  Sweet as they are, fresh carrots and their juice are actually good for candida, because carrots are rich in acidophilus. ( You could have knocked me over with a feather when I learned that.)
You can eat meat (but not the stuff processed with preservatives, not the smoked or honey-cured ones, and no jerky or  bacon, etc.)
You can eat fish (just watch out for mercury .  The rule of thumb is that the smaller the fish is when you eat it, the less mercury it can contain.  Sardines packed in water or olive oil are good, but avoid the ones with sauces like mustard or hot sauce, for they contain both sugar and vinegar.)
You can eat eggs.
You can drink water, herb tea, or black coffee prepared in a scrupulously clean coffeepot at home (but not at Starbuck's because you don't know if there's mold in their coffee pot. Because the Board of Health does check on those things from time to time, there probably isn't any mold in it, but how would you know for sure?  At least when you make it at home, you know that pot is clean. .  Some instant coffees are actually okay, depending on how they've been processed.  I actually like Kava brand instant coffee, for example, because it isn't acidic even when I drink it black.
2.  You poison it with whatever drug your yeast is sensitive to (which you will know when you get your test  results back from Great Smokies)

3.  You flush out the dead yeast cells with lots and lots of water (for a while, I was drinking a gallon of good water a day.  It helps a LOT with that foggybrained feeling, too.

4.  You give it no peace -- it spreads a bed of sugary, ropy mucus (sorry) across your intestinal wall because that's the medium it grows in, and so your job is to remove that bed as it forms.  You do this by digesting it away with lots of proteolytic digestive enzymes between meals.  Coffee enemas would probably help with this too, but I didn't know about them when I was clearing my candida away, so I have no experience with using them for that purpose.  Still, it seems to me that a retention enema using bromelain, which is a one of the digestive enzymes, might be of some use as well.

5.  You  keep its growth in check by using probiotics.  Some docs tell u to wait until you get rid of some of the yeast before you bother repopulating your gut with good flora.    I felt better when  used them, so I did.

If you've got vaginal yeast, you may find it useful to get a big old glass  or porcelain pot from a thrift store-- one you won't mind discarding or keeping gardening tools in later--- and use it to boil your undies after they've come out of the washer.  You can't kill yeast in the washing machine, no matter how hot it gets, but you sure can boil it to death.  Ten minutes of rapidly boiling in plain, clean hot water does it.  If I were doing it today, I'd consider putting iodine into that water.  I don't know that it would help, but I suspect it might.   I'm sure it'd tint my underwear, but that's easy enough to replace down the road.

Caprylic acid helps some people, as do oil of oregano and  uva ursi.   Don't go out and buy anything except probiotics, though, until you get your test results back from Great Smokies, because those things may not work on your particular strain of yeast.

You may want to avoid stuff with citric acid made from corn, at least for a few weeks.  It mystified me:    I'd eat half a jar of artichoke hearts and fall asleep right there at the table.   I couldn't figure it out -- what was in it but a relatively lowcarb vegetable, olive oil, garlic (another candida-killer), some seasoning, and citric acid?    It was the citric acid.  That's vitamin C, yes, but it was made from corn, another nono on an anti-candida diet.   Thus we learn.

I could live on avocados, I love them so much.   When I was in the throes of getting rid of candida, I thought, "Hey, something I love to eat that may work on this diet.  Why not?  High in fat, low in carbs, a little lemon juice, four avocados could be lunch."  But I was muddlehaded and sleepy and cranky and bloated.  And then I read that avocados are not good for people with candida, though I no longer remember why. .