From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 2010 18:38:56 -0500
"I would worry more about the acrylamides inherent in roasting any starch such as that found in coffee berries ( called beans because they are not really edible raw - like most legumes).

Secondly, depending on brewing method, I would worry about cafestrol which causes very high cholesterol levels such as those experienced by Stefansson when he drank boiled coffee during his all meat studies in New York."

Ray Audette

I heard Ray was back here and I'm glad to see it's true. Why aren't there huzzahs and dancing now that the main basic inspirer of the forum is back?

I'll start it...Huzzah! (dance> <dance>)

Welcome back Ray,

I think you went inactive on this forum before I started posting on it years ago, so I want to start by thanking you for your book, which was one of my earliest influences re: Paleo diets. My health and that of more than a dozen other people were improved significantly as a result of the path that your writings and those of a few other people started me on. It's pretty neat that your book has become a collector's item at Amazon.com.

Back on topic...given that coffee berries are technically fruit seeds, are you sure that they were originally called beans because of their inedibility raw, rather than because they look like beans?

Thanks,
Phil