From:
Jane Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 23:48:00 -0700
Hi, Alex!

I know what you mean about the cost of this way of eating; however, the
reduced medical expenses should more than cover it, and feeling great is
priceless.  I buy tasty Alaskan salmon (canned) from Trader Joe's (Trader
Joe's brand).  Also some very good real (two layer) sardines packed in
salmon oil (King Oscar brand).  Trader Joe's is a budget gourmet/specialty
food store.  I understand that they do special purchases, so if you see
something you like, get it--it may not be there next time, especially if
it's featured in their Fearless Flyer.   These fish items seem to be in
stock all the time.  They're salty, so I drain the juice and give it to my
cats.   Seems to me I saw Omega-3 eggs the last time I was there.  There
are a couple of stores in New York state:

          www.traderjoes.com/locations/index.asp

The #1 natural foods store chain in the U.S. is Whole Foods.  We don't have
one here in Southern Arizona, but they are highly recommended on the Celiac
List.  There may be some in New York:

          http://www.wholefoods.com/company/locations.html

The #3 chain (#2 is TJ's) is Wild Oats.  They sell Coleman's beef and lamb,
which are grain-finished, but supposedly natural--no antibiotics, hormones,
etc.  Ditto for the Rocky chickens.  I buy organically grown Omega-3 eggs
from them.  Their locator is here:

          http://www.wildoats.com/app/cda/oat_cda.php?pt=StoreLocator&PHPSESSID=6e29b259948fb10f89bd8141461db6a2
(You'll have to paste this in your browser.)

Here is a list of free-farmed meats in New York state.  They raise mostly
pork; only one raises beef and one other one raises chickens.  Maybe they
are convenient to you:

          http://www.freefarmed.org/stores/ny.htm

Getting into a food co-op can help cut costs.  Here's a site listing co-ops
across the U.S. and Canada, plus a few other countries:

          http://www.greenpeople.org/healthfood.htm

My husband and I joined CostCo and bought a nice GE 5 cu.ft. chest freezer
at a price that more than covered the cost of our membership. Something to
consider.  I don't buy any of my food there.  My husband, who couldn't care
much less about his diet, says the meat there is good, but it's definitely
commercial beef.  I buy all grass-fed from a friend on a ranch for myself.

I hope this helps.

Jane
Southern Arizona, USA - where I've already had to turn on the
air-conditioning this year