From:
Jane Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 01:11:24 -0700
Hi, All!

Thanks, Hans, for your response.

 >like that.  What source are you quoting here?

>I read this in an article about the aubergine/eggplant in my daily newspaper.

Well, so much for believing what you read.  LOL. Including the Internet,
too.  I still haven't found anything that connects eggplant with the
cucurbit family.

> >I did come across the information that eggplants are native to tropical SE
> >Asia.
>
>That is what I also read, and in that case it is no nightshade.

Why would that be?  Some members of the nightshade family are native to
Europe.  Belladonna comes to mind.  I did a quick search for that, and it's
European.  I don't know why some nightshades couldn't be native to Asia,
too.  What the heck, I just did a search for nightshades and Africa.  They
are native to Africa.  In fact, one of the sites said nightshades are a
"worldwide weed."

Actually, jean-claude's post describing eggplant sounds like a member of
the nightshade family. Toxic green spots are true of potatoes, too.

Jane
Southern Arizona  USA