From:
Lisa Sporleder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2014 14:42:44 -0900
Hi Tracey,

You can try using more of the starchier veggies like yams, winter
squash, etc.  Spaghetti squash is my friend...I use it under all sorts
of saucy or juicy things.  No it doesn't absorb quite as much liquid,
but as was already mentioned, that's why we have spoons!  I always
thought it was a shame that as adults, we often seem to forget how to
use a spoon once we master the fork.

The other food group that satiates nicely is fat. I find fat collected
from roast chicken or pork to be very tasty on veggies. Find ways to
increase the fat in your food, and you may find it more satisfying
without the rice.  If that isn't enough and you do need to add in quinoa
or buckwheat, try limiting it to just a half-cup serving.  A small
amount should be all you need for that purpose.

I won't tell you about food costs where I live.  The interior of Alaska
is not a place to compare to!  This is the land where the farmers market
is more expensive than buying organic at the store, and the one meat
market that sells locally raised meat is out of business for a few
months because a fire burned down the building next door and they've got
to remodel.  Good thing my freezer is still well stocked!

One place Alaska shines is seafood!  Our stores all have fresh seafood
counters, and everything is marked as to wild or farm-raised and the
country of origin.  There's also a bill currently in the state
legislature to label GMO foods...I hope it survives!

Lisa