From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:48:27 +0100
On Jun 21, 2004, at 11:31 pm, City Monkey wrote:
> 660 - 10 oz of fried steak per day (that's like over a pound when it's
> raw)
> 480 - 4 cups of juice
> 523 - 2oz almonds + 1oz pecans
> 400 - 4 bananas
>  65 - a couple servings of veggies
> 150 - other misc fruits
>
> That's a total of 2,278 calories. That's not enough to support any
> activity.

Hi,

I am new to this discussion, and I've largely let it go by me because
I've *never* counted the calories I eat (although I have an idea what
is contained in some foods).  I'm 21, male, currently working as a
postman (2-3 hours carrying and walking daily), and am into martial
arts (average about 10 hours a week training).  I am about 183cm and
73kg in weight.  (About 6' something and 11 stone in old money, I
think.)

To compare my diet to yours, using your figures as a guide, I eat
approximately (trying to keep to your units):

1320 - up to 20z of various meats (chicken, steak, fish, turkey)
0 - no juice
500 - at *most* 3oz of nuts a day, usually less
0 - no bananas (I'm staying off them because I'm trying to reduce fruit
intake)
200 - a lot of veg (no idea how many calories so I will be generous)
150 - some fruit, usually one or two satsumas, a pear or peach, maybe
20 grapes

Total: 2120 (and I suspect it is less than this).  I am pretty young
and I consider myself fairly active, and this diet is satisfying for
me.

What makes you think your body is wrong in telling you how much it
needs to eat?  One of the most important instincts a human has is to
eat the right amount, so I can't imagine you can work out on paper
something better than what your body asks for.  Personally, I reach
saturation point with fish quite quickly.  I sometimes eat more than
this because my mum is trying to overfeed me (she thinks paleo is an
eating disorder because I "cut out so much"), but only a little.  I
would never dream of taking something as simplistic as a calorie number
and use it to decide that I must eat fish to the point of being sick,
any more than I would use the carb- or fat-content of foods for the
same purpose.  When we start doing this, we end up in situations like
the published recommended daily calcium intake, which is so high I'm
surprised it isn't toxic.

Ashley