Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 19:53:54 -0400
Hi Judy,
child.
You've fed him the best---breast milk and TLC followed by nourishing
natural
foods.  You've also encouraged his natural instincts and inclinations
and
they feed the kids the worst food possible for their growth and
development.
What you saw in his kindergarten is all too common:

> Every natural instinct of
> children is continually suppressed all day.  They must not talk out of line,
> walk out of line, sing out of line, draw out of line, cut out of line...
> All natural creativity is squashed, and they are asked to conform to
> automotons doing monotonous, flat worksheets until the bell rings for the
> next monotonous activity.  My kid even got TIME OUT in Music Class.  How the
> heck can you screw up, I ask him, in Music???????  Turns out he spun around
> 3 times rather than 2 times during the Hokey Pokey song.  SOOOOO off to the
> Time Out Chair for him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Good thing the electric chair
> is not legal in my county....

I think you should home school.  I've seen many kids who've been home
scholed over the years.  They've always been more mature, more
socially
skilled, and have excelled academically.  They've been ahead of their
age-mates in what they were reading, studying, learning and doing.
They've
delved deeper into studying things that interested them.  Many I have
known
have taken college classes (for credit; paid for by the state) while
in
their last year or two of "high school."  Many have gotten
scholarships and
grants for college.  I have found it very enlightening to be around
home
schooled children.

It is a myth that home schooled kids will lack social contact or
social
skills.  The ones I've seen and known have been involved workshops or
speical classes (offered in the community) in arts, crafts, foreign
languages, music, sports, etc.   Some join up with other home
schoolers for
projects, outings, and socializing.

Home schooled kids can learn the same amount and more---in less time
and
have more fun doing it.  My sister in law buys text books--the same
ones
they use in schools here-- for her kids (whom she home schools).  She
told
me about how the books have suggestions for the teachers to make
busywork so
that it takes longer to get through the materal!!!  My niece typically
finishes an entire year's worth of school material in 6 months, then
she
spends more time reading and studying things she likes or taking
lessons in
things that interest her!  She and my nephew are utter delights and
are
reading many books I read, but at an earlier age.  They are amazing in
what
they can do!

Do you recall hearing a few years ago about the shock to the nation
that a
home schooled child won some national spelling B???  It was on the
news!

Well, give it some thought!  If you need (or anyone else needs)
resources
e-mail me privately or call me.  I have friends who speak and teach at
home
schooling conferences and have oodles of resource material and
contacts.

Sincerely,

Rachel