From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:15:08 +0100
I just saw this article, titled "Fruit could make 'powerful fuel'":
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6224846.stm>  It made me wonder,
are we in for more of this kind of stupidity?

I'm already aware of corn-based biofuels.  These seem to be a mixed
blessing.  On the one hand, they are going to destroy unimaginable
amounts of land, but on the other, the corn being used for biofuels
is not being used for feedlotting.  This is putting the cost of meat
up, but at least it means the food is better quality (at least in
parts of the world where biofuels are grown).  Obviously it's bad in
the long run, but I thought it was ironic that there was an upside.

Does anyone else here have a horrible feeling that we are rapidly
heading for a disaster?  Pretty much every other civilisation that
has come and gone farmed itself into oblivion.  Are we going to be
the next in the quest to keep our cars running?

Ashley