From:
Judy Genova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 11:42:57 EDT
I hope this is not off topic, but feel the need to express both sorrow and
frustration over this subject.

Aveline Kushi was one of my  cooking teachers when I was in training to
become a macrobiotic cook and counselor.  I believe she was sick for a long
time.  WHat is doubly sad, is that about 7 years ago,  Aveline"s only
daughter (out of 5 children), Lily, died of cervical cancer as well.  THe
Kushi's, who are internationally known, were caught between a rock and a hard
place.  How could they manage their grief, at the same time promote a diet
and act as role models for the very same WOE which was not fullproof?

Spokespersons for the family came up with the party line responses:  "Well,
Lily went to pursue an acting career in Los ANgeles, and lived a fast food
life".(In other words, she caused her own cancer by making poor food
choices).    " Because Aveline was on the road helping her husband build his
dream,  she was always eating out at macrobiotic restaurants, or other
peoples homes" (In other words, she too, caused her own cancer - if only she
had stayed home more and CHEWED!!!).

I sometimes see this same crap spewed on this list.  For example,  if someone
has an ailment, well, maybe they better stop eating so many carbs!!!!!   Or,
there's a right way to be paleo, and then theres the way that will lead to
the big C.  Or the body will only be in balance if you eat everything raw.

THe bottom line is that this type of mentality is born from fear of death,
the unknown, and man's eternal sense of helplessness against an unpredictable
 cosmos..

I hope Aveline is  finally at peace, enjoying eternal manna without judgment
about how she lived or ate in this world....

Cheers,

Judy Genova, cavegirl