From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:45:54 -0500
Jim Swayze wrote:

>I like what you say, Keith, and agree with everything.  But one thing is driving me nuts.  While the Eades and Ray Audette may give it adequate treatment, Dr. Cordain and Ron Rosedale (whose recent book is a FANTASTIC read) underemphasize the effect of foreign proteins on our health.  In practice you avoid these peptides when you strictly follow Cordain's and Rosedale's plans, but I want to hear them come out and use this as an additional reason we've so deviated from our ancestral diets.  It's a powerful point as these alien protein fragments are the drivers for so many of our modern maladies.

I think the reason is that the effect of  "foreign proteins" isn't very
well understood yet.  The immunological defintion of a "foreign" protein
is a protein that is "not self", i.e., not of one's own body.  Given
that definition, *all* the proteins we eat are foreign, whether they are
from meat, fish, or anything else.  A protein, completely digested,
becomes simply a bunch of amino acids, and these are not foreign.  The
so-called "foreign protein" problem is that some proteins are (a) not
completely digested, and (b) may enter the bloodstream in that
incompletely digested form.  In principle, *no* proteins should enter
the bloodstream; only amino acids.  There may be many reasons why this
doesn't happen, some dietary, some not.  For example, *some* lectins,
which are *glycoproteins*, apparently cause changes in the permeability
of the gut lining, allowing protein fractions to enter circulation,
challenging the immune system.  That's a dietary cause, but it's not
clear that all and only "nonpaleo" lectins are responsible.  Gut
permeability may also be affected by non-dietary factors such as viral
infections.

Todd Moody