From:
theta sigma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:16:13 -0800
Kevin - first thing - don't set yourself for guilt trips when you, as
you say, "fall off the wagon".  We all do.  The trick is to continue to
push yourself toward paleo.  It doesn't happen overnight or over a
weekend.  The body doesn't like sudden change and neither does your
psyche.  Learn what is "good" food and what is "bad" food paleo-wise.
Write them down if necessary and carry the list with you.  Even at a
restaurant I can find a raw salad, sometimes even tuna or steak tartar
or cheviche.  When I eat out I always ask for very, very, very rare meat
and explain that I prefer it totally raw.  It usually comes back to the
table just lightly seared on the outside but red on the inside.  I don't
order potatoes or bread or grains.  If they are brought on my plate, I
ask for a side dish and I remove them from my main plate to the side
dish.  At a convenient time I ask the waiter to remove that side dish so
I won't be tempted.

At home, make the foods available in your refrigerator or larder.  Keep
raw eggs and meats, fowl, raw honey, greens or green juice available to
satisfy your hunger.  Mostly it is just more-or-less learning new habits
to replace the old.  Practice the new habits when you are not under
social pressure to eat otherwise.  Make sure your fianceé knows what you
are doing and get her support for your eating that way.  Keeping it
secret or being embarassed to let anyone know will just make life
miserable for you.  But you don't have to tell everyone - especially
those who you know would not approve or understand.  Bring your own
lunch to work.

A change in diet happens over time.  Give yourself several months to
make even small adjustments to your diet and habits.  As in learning to
ride a bicycle, keep getting back on the diet when you fall off.

Regarding your other questions, make your own mustard using water, apple
cider vinegar, mustard seeds, raw honey and a blender.  Use cold-pressed
olive oil, rosemary from your garden and anything "natural" for
seasoning.  I suppose even a little tiny bit of sea salt (like a small
pinch) might enhance tastes in the beginning but you should not need
that much salt if you are having lots of greens (whole or juiced).  You
can try marinating meats in freshly squeezed citrus and/or organic apple
cider, etc.  Use garden greens for other flavors - dice up shallots or
green onions to taste and sprinkle on foods.  You can get raw seeds to
sprinkle on foods (try to get them unheated - uncooked).  Get a raw
recipe book (check out Vonderplanitz's recipe book).  His book is a
great source of hard-to-find raw recipes.

Sorry - I can't help on developing tastes for organs.  I was hooked on
liver years ago before this diet and love it even more raw now.  Never
had a problem with organ tastes (except lung).

When you plan to go out to eat, first have a raw egg or two at home.
This will help to cushion your body if you eat non-paleo foods (at least
it worked for me in the beginning).  I know it isn't paleo, but when I
do eat cooked foods I almost always take a healthy dose of enzyme
supplements just beforehand to compensate for the loss.

Try to develop a taste for naked foods without sauces and flavorings -
get grass-fed meats and savor the raw taste as though you were a
"savage" foraging in the wild.  Have fun with it and (perhaps only in
private) growl as you bite into the meat and pretend as a child would.
I wouldn't suggest that you practice this in front of others unless they
might have a similar sense of humor - lol.  When you go to the
refrigerator to select foods, pull out several types, sniff each of them
in turn and see which one(s) your body says it wants.  Try a taste of
each and select the one that most appeals to you at that moment.  You'll
find that your taste will change from day to day or week to week and as
seasons change.  Cultivate that instinct to choose what your body
wants.  Use your intellect to realize that just because you want a big
ice cream cone doesn't mean it is "okay".  But you can make your own ice
cream with fully natural ingredients - assuming that raw milk is
available to you and that you don't mind using it on this diet.

Best reagards,

-=mark=-