Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 12:47:46 -0700
T. Martin wrote:

> Don Wiss wrote:
> > The only time sunglasses make sense is when one is in an unnatural
> > situation. To me these are: on the water, on the beach, and driving i
Believe me: a subway is an unnatural situation!  People wear sunglasses
in the subway *to avoid eye contact*, not because they think the sun is
shining in the dark underground. Glasses give an illusion of
invisibility and anonymity.

Eye contact invites a response/contact which is to be avoided in any way
possible in the subways. Eye contact may also be interpreted as an
aggressive action: "you lookin' at me???!"  which necessitates
counter-aggression and bloodshed. For women: eye contact is seen by men
as a sexual invitation...[help!!!]

If I were still in the subways [thanx be to any/all Gods that I am not]
I would be wearing the darkest, baddest, wrap-around-my-head, glasses I
could find.

yoyo