From:
Joe Smolinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 18:36:25 -0400
Joe Smolinski >>Both are cyclical Ketogenic diets.  They both are very low
or no carbs Monday thru Friday, then they have a carb loading weekend
(glycogen supercompensation). What is interesting about this approach is
that one can argue that it is consistant with the lifestyle of the HG.<<

Don Wiss >Except that a week is a modern time division. Really things would
have been seasonal.<

Oh, I'm not gonna argue that there were seasonal variations.  The point I
guess I was trying to make is that there are some subtle nuances of a paleo
diet that get lost in all the glitz.  One is it is NOT a consistant diet.
Body Builders claim you have to eat 6-8 meals a day (which may be necessary
if they are not carrying around any excess body fat), and we also have heard
from childhood to eat 3 square meals a day.  I've heard talk of doing an
irregular fast to simulate a famine every once in a while, and I think that
a cyclical ketogenic diet makes some sense too.

The cycle?  Is it a week? (yeah, I seriously doubt it - for the reason you
indicate - it IS a modern time division).  Is it 28 days? (Hmm, I'm gonna
catch some grief for this - but I know that I'd probably go hunting every 28
days whether I needed meat or not!! <vbg>).  Is it a month?  I don't know
what the "cycle" would be, maybe a combination off all - but regardless,
the idea that Paleoman sat down and planned what he was gonna eat on a daily
basis seems unlikely to me.