From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 23:51:17 +0000
On Nov 19, 2004, at 11:58 am, Paleogal wrote:
>> All government and food industry recommendations aside, >how many
>> calories
>> per day does the average person really >need? My guess is that
>> hunter/gatherers didn't count >calories.
> LOL!  Of course they didn't.  Caloric intake varies from one person to
> the
> preference,
> etc.  Oliva

I have always taken 1500 calories as a rough minimum daily figure to
avoid starvation, but I've heard 1200 quoted too.  Having read a lot
about intermittent fasting lately (this group got me started) I think
the best way to eat is ideally no more than one meal a day.  That way,
you get full when you've had enough to last you 24 hours, and there's
no worrying along the lines of "I'll just have a snack to last me until
later".

Personally I think the best thing about paleo is that you can eat your
fill and be completely ignorant of how much you are eating, knowing
that you are definitely getting all the macro and micro-nutrients you
need with no risk of excess.  Compare that to the stress that low-cal,
low-fat and even some low-carb dieters go through- constantly obsessing
about the amount of [insert diet gimmick here] in their food.

Ashley