From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 1997 11:15:12 -0400
Hi all,

I received and read the "Thin" book last Friday. Here are a few comments on the
subject of "alien proteins".

The author assumes that we should only eat foods that are edible raw, because
the foods that are edible only after cooking contain some proteins that we are
not adapted to, and which can cause auto-immune diseases. It is assumed that,
because humans had been eating raw meat for millions of years, we are perfectly
adapted to cooked meat protein [I find that assumption far from obvious, but
won't discuss it here]. Let's review the main "alien proteins".

1) Milk: here, it's not specifically a problem of cooking (milk is edible raw),
but its consumption is too recent in human history. I agree that dairy products
should be used with caution, if at all.

2) Wheat, and others: gluten intolerance is a well-known problem. But wheat is
perfectly edible raw, usually in sprouted form, and the sprouts contain the same
proteins (the breakdown of proteins during the sprouting process is only
partial). And several of my friends like to eat raw wheat, directly from the
field. The experience of raw-fooders shows that raw, sprouted wheat can indeed
cause problems (but much less than cooked wheat). So, why? The classical
explanation of instincto theory is that wheat is one of the most heavily
selected foods, and contains much more gluten than its ancestor. Thus, while the
tiny quantity of gluten ingested by paleolothic men was harmless, the heavy
consumption of gluten-rich grains for decades can overwhelm the body's immune
system.

3) Corn: same remarks. Raw corn on the cob is delicious, but it is an extremely
selected food.

4) Peanuts: I don't see why we shouldn't eat peanuts. Fresh, in-shell peanuts
are really delicious. They are often partially sprouted inside the shell, and
the sprouting process destroys anti-trypsin. I wonder if people would still
report problems if they ate peanuts in that form (fresh, raw).

5) Cashews: I had the opportunity to try (really raw) cashews when I was in
France (most of the so-called "raw cashews" have in fact been heated at high
temperature for 90 seconds), and they are really delicious.

6) Soy, Limas and other large beans: I agree that they are inedible raw. I have
never tried sprouted soybeans, but those who have say they taste horrible, and
only begin to have an acceptable taste when sprouted very long.

7) Potatoes, yams, turnips: very few people like raw potatoes, but they EXIST
(if I believe what G.C. Burger wrote in his "Manger vrai"). Jewel yams taste
very good. I don't like raw turnips (they sting my tongue, like radish or
cabbage), but I remember a woman on the raw-food list who said she loves them.

To summarize, I would like to mention that instincto and paleo-diet have both a
record of impressive results, and they have common features:
 -Suppression of dairy and wheat (thus, of the main food allergens)
 -Suppression of commercially processed food
 -Suppression of refined carbohydrates
 -And perhaps, suppression of certain methods of cooking (use of vegetable oil
for frying), of salt.

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis