From:
Cas Kearse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 16:13:01 -0500
>From: Ilana
>I have been unsuccesful in making my own mayo
I use a blender.  the food processor was not as successful.  do try again
sometime, if you figure it out it's a cool feeling.

was wondering what everyone thought of the Hellmans Mayo.
This is the best tasting (I think) commercial mayo.  The problem is that the
bulk of it is made with soy bean oil.  As paleo eaters we avoid soybeans and
vegetable oils.  Olive oil is deemed AOK so I make mine with that.  It would
be difficult for me and my family to do without mayo.  Before paleo of
course we would use it on sandwiches now it's great to put on veggies like
cole slaw and other fruit or veggie salads.  I've always liked mayo a lot so
now I also put it when I'm in the mood on my meats.

a processed food, but does anyone else eat it?  I have cut dairy, but am
finding living without mayo hard.
all that being said, when I'm busy or for whatever reason I have run out of
homemade, I use Hellmans.  Please don't put yourself thru the wringer trying
to be perfect on anything.  Some of the posters will sound quite inflexible
but we all adapt at our own rate.  My daughter has to be perfect at not
eating foods with wheat or gluten in them or she gets sick.  But I do the
best I can.  I have been eating paleo since last year and remember the first
few MONTHS getting confused or flat out forgetting that a particular food
was something that I was now avoiding.  Especially in a social setting where
I was socializing and dipping up a pot luck meal, I might scoop up a spoon
ful of cassarole and then I'd be picking thru it to leave out eating the
pasta.  But now it's mostly 2nd nature.  If I eat something on the avoid
list I'm not going to go into shock.  Maybe it's not that way for you.
Maybe you are allergic or something to particular foods but if you are
following this way of eating because of more chronic types of complaints
(arthritis, etc.) then just keep after it.  You'll get the hang of it soon
enough.  Then you'll start feeling great and that will motivate you in a way
that no amount of guilt or nagging will ever do.
    Welcome and best wishes,  Cas