Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2013 13:17:06 -0400
Hi Jill, Welcome!!  I am no expert.  I am not diabetic.  However, I was very sensitive to carbohydrate ingestion, causing weight gain and a myriad of niggling health problems with my lupus.  I began eating low carb 16.5 years ago, and I migrated towards mainly paleo about 2-3 years later.  I lost 75 pounds, and I have kept it off.  About 85% of my lupus symptoms remitted.  I have lots of stamina, my blood numbers are excellent = my life is incredibly improved.  I have found out through trial and error that I feel best when I eat under 60 carbs per day.  At that amount, fruit is limited to two servings or less per day.  I concentrate on berries and lots of non-starchy vegetables.  Once you get the sugars and processed/artificial flavors out of your system you will be  amazed at how sweet, flavorful and satisfying real food and real vegetables are.
Paula H.