From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 05:05:36 +0000

>Its name is escaping me, but did any of you hear that the toxin injected in
>the skin to erase wrinkles is now being looked at as a cure for migraines?!
>Many wrinkle-hating patients (Stepford wives?) reported a drastic reduction
>in both basic and migraine headaches.  They think that this toxin relaxes
>muscles and bing badda bing, there goes the headache.

That would be Botox; or botulism toxin. I'm waiting to see if there are
long-term implications. My acupuncturist gets the same results: needles in
the area relax the muscles, improving the wrinkles, and also relieving the
headaches.

>Which makes me wonder; could modern food's LACK of germs and toxins come
>with a downside?...
>Dori Zook
>Denver, CO

I have no doubts on this; for one thing, organisms contribute to digestion
and intestinal health. Symbiotes have many applications in other animals;
as you say, there has not been much explored in humans. Just as animals
evolved to fit the food available, undoubtedly they also evolved to take
advantage of particular bacterial environments. This could, for instance,
be one reason why one always yearns for "home", the family wellspring, even
if one has been born and raised in another part of the world. It certainly
would account for getting ill on strange water or food when traveling. It's
not the bugs, it's the kind of bugs.

ginny

All stunts performed without a net!