From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 17:56:23 -0500
On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, Kenny Brown wrote:

> Todd, thanks for the info.  Anymore like it?  I still
> have questions.

Don't we all?

> You said this does not apply to anaerobic activities.
> But the competitive nature of cycling requires a great
> deal of anaerobic response. (Chasing down
> breakaways/initiating breakaways...etc.)  Does this
> then still discount my needs for more carbs.
> Anaerobic activity requires lots of carbs.
>
> The study did not state anything about anaerobic
> power/capacity.  These cyclists simple rode at 62-64%
> of VO2 max and then quit?

I don't know.  Keep in mind that this was a study of *ketogenic*
diet and its effect on aerobic endurance performance.  But there
is no special reason why a paleo diet should be ketogenic, and I
should imagine that a moderate-carb paleo diet would provide
enough glucose for the anaerobic activities that you describe.  I
think the "training effect" here is that the muscles use *less*
glucose during aerobic effort, saving it for anaerobic bursts.
Therefore, I would expect that a period of ketogenic diet and
training would make anaerobic glucose utilization more efficient,
but that's just my unlearned guess.  The thing to do is try it,
and don't be discouraged if your performance suffers for a few
weeks.

Todd Moody