From:
Troy Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:42:09 -0600
> I would like to pose a related question on this topic.  It has been
> suggested to me that the high protein diet, and especially ketosis stage,
> is very risky for causing Gout?  I don't know that much about the
> chemistry, but they claim it causes high levels of uric acid that leads to
> gout.  Any feedback?
>
> Bob

On their PROTEIN POWER web site (www.eatprotein.com), Drs. Eades answer this
question as follows (from the FAQ):

"Increased levels of uric acid are associated with insulin resistance, which
results from high intake of sugars and starchy foods. Most people who have
gout have a problem with under excretion of the uric acid from the kidneys.
There isn't a problem with the production of uric acid but there is with the
excretion of it. Although it is not fully understood, there seems to be some
enzyme defect that causes this to happen. The uric acid gets stored in the
tissues and once insulin levels start to drop, from decreased carbohydrate
intake, the uric acid becomes mobilized and there can be crystallization
within the joints, therefore a gout episode. It is important to drink plenty
of fluids, supplement with magnesium, and do not go on and off the plan.
People with a known history of gout problems should discuss with their
physician, the possibility of using medications to prevent attacks when
first starting the plan. Once they have their insulin and uric acid levels
under control with the diet, the medication could be discontinued."

Hope this is of help.

Troy G.