Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 14:41:54 -0400
Brenda lea martin wrote:

> In a message dated 7/12/1999 8:42:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
> writes:
>

> >  SAD - standard American diet. As for Gittleman, that wouldn't be my first
> > choice  for reading materials (not that it's bad, just that there are better).
> > Once you  have read the more informative books you can go quickly through hers.
>
> ok, so where is a good place to start, and whence from there?
I don't remember exactly what topic this was referring to, but here is my
list of books to start on nutrition/ deceases
Protein Power
Atkins New Diet Revolutions
Neanderthin
Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill
Life Extension (oldie but still useful)
Any half decent vitamin/mineral book

Most of these have at least some points on which they contradict each other,
so you have to make a judgment call on which area the author seems to be
an expert on.

This is a starting list. Then a few more books on illnesses that diet
might help one with:
Hypothyroid the unsuspected illness (by Broda Barnes)
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and the Yeast connection (by Crook)
Bernsteins book on Diabetes

From that point on it really depends on what you are interested in, but
you have probably gotten to the point where you are ready for more than
introductory stuff. I'd suggest at least an endocrinology text (one I
read is Endocrinology by Mac E. Hadley - readable without being a premed
student, yet still a good one). If you are into more hard core low
carbing and perhaps bodybuilding you might read BODY OPUS by Dan Duchain
(though this is NOT a recommendation to actually follow what he writes about).

At this point I continue to read both more serious stuff as well as fluffy
books, simply because they are much more likely to have anecdotal info
about something useful. My personal interest is longevity in good health.
Thus I read lots of stuff, often unrelated. As long as it has something to
do with making me live longer or healthier. I read about specific deceases,
esp. degenerative ones because it helps me identify potentially health
damaging practices/foods/etc.

Well, I hope this wasn't too much off topic

Ilya