From:
Sol Lederman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Dec 1999 09:42:29 -0800
Merry Christmas, eveyone!

I'm new to the paleo-food list but not new to high (or
adequate) protein diets. I've got a question that I
haven't been able to find an answer to in the various
links on www.paleodiet.com.

I'm interested in trying a low carb version of a paleo
diet and I'm wondering how to do that. Carbs,
especially raw carbs with lots of cellulose and low
glycemic index, move through me too slowly, due to
weak digestion and cause me to be constipated and
bloated. So, I can cook all my carbs but I'm not eager
to do that. Plus, on a 2000 calorie paleo diet of 30%
carbs I need to be eating 600 calories a day of carb.
That's more fruit and vegetable than my body can
comfortably handle.

I tried the Atkins diet for a short period and it
caused me to break out in chills and in eczema. I was
eating all meat cooked and it was not lean meat so I
suspect that my liver had trouble processing the
cooked fats. When I eat my meat raw (ala Aajonus
Vonderplanitz' "We Want to Live" diet) and I have no
problems digesting it. In fact, I do well with raw
meat and raw fat in my diet and low carb. What hasn't
worked for me on the Aajonus diet is how much fat
weight I've gained in a short period of time. Aajonus'
diet is very high fat, which I don't mind
percentage-wise but I've found it too easy to eat too
many calories on it.

So, here I am, looking at paleo as a way to moderate
calories, lose body fat, and feel satisfied. I'd very
much appreciate advise from those of you who are doing
low carb versions of paleo. In particular, how do you
divide calories among proteins, fats, and (a little
bit, or none) of carbs?

I've been starting to buy more game meat, rather than
domesticated beef, which will lower my fat
consumption. But I do want adequate amounts of healthy
fat in my diet. I use olive oil and flax oil and
sometimes eat avocado and nuts. Milk makes me very
tired and that coincides with no dairy in paleo.

I'm willing to eat some non-starchy fruits and veggies
but the catch 22 is that non-starchy produce has very
few calories. I also juice green veggies for the
nutrients but there are few calories in a green drink.

By the way, I'm not worried about fiber in my diet.
I'm much less constipated on RAW animal foods with
little fiber then I ever was on a raw vegan diet.

Thanks again for any advice or guidance you can
provide.

Sol