From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 20:40:04 +0200
Greg Butler wrote:
>Unlike most of the people who have expressed
>problems with this, I don't have any moral,
>spiritual, or other problems with eating meat, I just don't like it.
>I would like to add more into my diet but I'm
>having a real hard time so
>far.  The reason I originally gave up meat was because I found that

>it was less and less appetizing until it just became
>easier to quit eating it altogether.  ...

>Ground beef is pretty much the same as beef for me. It's just in
>smaller pieces.Chicken breast is ok I think,but if I hit a
>big pocket of fat or gristle I just have to stop
>right there and can't eat any
>more, it just disgusts me.  ...

I'm happy, that at last I've found someone (even some) who seem to
understand my feelings about meat.
It so good to feel beeing understood. Thank you Greg.

I think, that even many people, wo whould never think about
not to eat meat are feeling kind of "strange"
if it is recognizeable *what* meat consists of.
For example many like to eat nice steaks, a little quadratic peace of
red matter, but as soon as they realize blood or any association with
the fact, that's actually part of an animals body they feel

uncomfortable.
Many think that eating an animal's eyes , ears, nose, or other

obvious
body parts was undiscussible - but eyes are are a delicacy for some.
Many would never eat a dog or horse or cat - any pet animals - but
they don't hesitate do munch calves or pigs. Where is the difference?
Similar for insects, maggots, worms.
The real wildlive hunter/gatherers are *not* concerned with that, are

they?
Life out there sometimes really must be "incredibly tough" out there.
(like in the story with the flies living in animals eaten by the

children).
Well, that's not for me.

>Since
>I'm trying to retrain my brain where it comes to meat I'm not

chancing
>anything that could cause that reaction right now.  Also it's

usually
>pretty dry.  I keep seeing people mention cooking it in some olive

oil
>with some garlic and basil and such, which sounds pretty good.  I

just
>need to find these things out as I go.

And Wally Day adds:
>I have the same problem. I have never really been much
>of a meat eater. I'm sure I'll get some flak from the
>purists on the list for this, but my suggestions would
>be: First, get yourself a barbeque and learn how to
>use it. Then, learn how to enhance the meats flavor
>using various spices and sauces. There are some good
>BBQ sauces out there, some store bought, some
>homemade.

15 years back I have experienced occasionally cravings for
certain tastes of some spices, for roasted or smoked things.
Somehow i found out that this was not the taste of the meat,
but more the taste of the spices or the processing added -
and can be done on any vegetable stuff as well.
I've yet to see the man eating meat raw and unspiced/salted
(except .. inuit).

What is the benefit in cheating my own body's taste for eating
something it doesn't really demand?
I've studied thoroughly the claims which ingredients of meat
were so valuable and essential necessary.
I have encountered not one convincing point- except vitamin b12
in todays environment's conditions.
Not vitamin a , not taurin, not iron, not protein, not DHA.

But one main advantage of meat consumption i do know (now):
It can relieve you of the intake of certain plant (and dairy)
matters which have a high allergy potential (cereal, milk, nut).
For some reason (i do have some thoughts about that too) these
substances seem to be more dangerous nowadays.
Strange, that in the older days, when many 95% whole grain
eating people lived, allergies were seldom and people got old.

So, as long as i do well with enough choices of foods that
are tasty and i'm thriving of, i make my choice without...
(see above).
Adopting paleolithic principles like
- little preparation
- little processing
- as little engineered as possible
- seasonal variation,
- variation in items but few *mixing* of items
- freshness
and learning to avoid which foods don't do good to *me*
help my way.

regards,
Amadeus

--