From:
Patty Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 08:36:11 -0800
>8] Why staph infections are so common among instinctos living in the tropics.

PATTY:   "Germs" like moist, wet places.  In a humid tropical
environment every tiny injury to the skin invites staph infections.
The only way to avoid it that I found in 10 years on Guam is to pour
hydrogen peroxide directly on every wound the moment it is made.
Otherwise, we got infected, spreading "Guam sores" on our bodies and
had to get penicillin to clear them up.

>10] Why some European instinctos report the growth of tumors when animal foods
>are consumed according to "instinctive pleasure" when hunter gatherer
>cultures, who average some 65% of their calorie from animal foods (albeit
>not all
>raw in most cases) do not report problems with tumors.

PATTY:    I have seen this statement at least 2,000 times, and I
always suspect that people in hunter-gatherer societies just fade away
and die without any diagnosis or treatment (except shamanic) if they
have tumors.

QUOTE: ... I have yet to hear any tumors reported in this
forum and there are many folks eating a very high percentage of
meat--cooked, often commercially-produced, as much as they want. Why
do
instinctos grow these meat tumors and everyone else doesn't? A true
puzzler
to me.

PATTY:   You want tumors?  How about the total intestinal blockage
tumor of the pancreas my father died of due to celiac disease?  At age
89, of course.  In a hunter-gatherer society he would have been
thought to have died of old age.

QUOTE:  ... meta could potentially
>liberate Man from the fundamental neurosis that characterize the people of our
>cultures, society itself would be transformed along with our relation to the
>world.

The fact that oneself is uncomfortable, or the fact that others think
and act differently from oneself, does not mean that society is
neurotic.  All our various ways of dealing with life stress are
adaptive and potentially helpful in the gene pool.  If you feel that
these frenzied, irrational behaviors are "neuroticism" try listening
on the autistic listservs, where there is constant proof that people
are genetically hard-wired to think in their different appalling
ways.  Actually, if you have noticed that people tend to be nuts, you
may be on the autistic spectrum yourself.  We are the nerds and
engineers and computer geeks, among others.

Cheerfuly,

Patty